Educational Credentials :
- M. Arch., Princeton University; 1996
- B. Arch., The Cooper Union; 1994
- B.S. in Landscape Architecture, City College of New York; 2007
- B.S., University of Michigan; 1991
Teaching Experience :
- Associate Professor, City College of New York; 2011 - present
- Lecturer, Princeton University; 2003 - 2011
- Adjunct Professor, City College of New York; 2009 - 2010
- Visiting Professor, University of Virginia; 2009
- Visiting Professor, Parsons the New School for Design; 2007
- Adjunct Professor, The Cooper Union; 2000 - 2006
- Visiting Lecturer, Harvard University; 2002 - 2003
Professional Experience :
- Principal, Catherine Seavitt Studio, New York, NY; 2003 - present
- Associate, Pei Cobb Freed and Partners, New York, NY; 1998 - 2001
- Associate, RFR Ingenieurs, Paris, France; 1996 - 1997
- Associate, Atelier Raimund Abraham, New York, NY; 1993 - 1994
- Registered Architect: New York State
- Registered Landscape Architect: New York State
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Depositions: Roberto Burle Marx and Public Landscapes under Dictatorship. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press, forthcoming spring 2018.
- Structures of Coastal Resilience. Co-authored with Guy Nordenson and Julia Chapman. Washington, DC: Island Press, forthcoming fall 2017.
- Waterproofing New York. Co-edited with Denise Hoffman Brandt. New York, NY: UR / Urban Research Press, 2016.
- On the Water: Palisade Bay. Co-authored with Guy Nordenson and Adam Yarinsky. Hatje Cantz Verlag, 2010.
- Book Chapters:
- “The Magical Ecology of Laudato Si’.” In Climates: Architecture and the Planetary Imaginary. Editor James Graham. Zurich, Switzerland: Columbia Books on Architecture and the City / Lars Müller Publishers, 2016.
- “FOREX.” In Waterproofing New York. Editors Denise Hoffman Brandt and Catherine Seavitt Nordenson. UR: Urban Research Press, 2016.
- “De-domestication and the Wild.” In Finding Center: Landscape and Values. Editor M. Elen Deming. Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Louisiana State University Press, 2015.
- “High Stakes: Soft Infrastructure for the Rising Seas.” In Rising Currents: Projects for New York’s Waterfront. Editor Barry Bergdoll. The Museum of Modern Art, 2011.
- “Palisade Bay.” In Workshopping: An American Model of Architectural Practice at the U.S. Pavilion for La Biennale di Venezia, Biennale Architettura 2010. Editor Jonathan Solomon. 306090 Inc. with Princeton Architectural Press, 2010.
- Journal Articles:
- “Retrench / Rise Up.” LA+ / Landscape Architecture Plus: Risk, Issue 06 (2017): 42-47. Co-authored with Guy Nordenson.
- “The Miasmist: George E. Waring, Jr. and the Evolution of Modern Public Health.” Landscape Research Record: Dilemma-Debate, No. 5, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (2016): 116-126.
- “The Counselor: Roberto Burle Marx and the Ecological Modern.” Avery Review, Issue 17 (September 2016).
- “Roberto Burle Marx and the Conservation of the Brazilian Forest.” Landscape Research Record: Incite-Change-Insite, No. 4, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (2015): 111-118.
- “Natural Protection,” TOPOS 93: Fragile Landscapes / International Review of Landscape Architecture and Urban Design. Munich, Germany, Fall 2015.
- “Structures of Coastal Resilience: Designs for Climate Change,” in Social Research: An International Quarterly, Vol. 82, No. 3, Fall 2015. Co-authored with Guy Nordenson.
Professional Memberships :
- American Institute of Architects
- American Society of Landscape Architects
- Society of Architectural Historians
- LAAR 66100 MLA Comprehensive Design Studio 6
- LAAR 63100 MLA Studio 3
- LAAR 61100 MLA Studio 1
- LAAR 64700 Landscape Restoration Seminar
- ARCH 51415 Introduction to Landscape Architecture