COVID-19 Related Updates
CURRENT Update (Spring 2022):
March 7, 2022:
CUNY Lifts Mask Mandate
Masks Now Optional. Vaccination Requirements Remain.
Excerpts from the CUNY Chancellor’s Letter:
In response to revised guidance issued by the CDC last week, we are lifting the temporary mask mandate that has been in place since August 2021 and required all CUNY students, faculty, staff and visitors to wear masks inside University campuses, office buildings, classrooms and other non-enclosed spaces. This policy change, which takes effect on Monday, March 7, follows recent announcements by Governor Hochul and Mayor Adams that ended mask mandates for pre-K through 12th grade schools across New York State and City.
Anyone who would like to continue wearing masks in any setting is welcome to do so at any time. Masks will continue to be available on campus and offices for people who want them. The CDC is not requiring people to wear a mask in communities that have low or medium COVID-19 levels like New York City’s boroughs, but I urge the small number of faculty, staff and students who are still not vaccinated, or those who have been or will be granted a medical exemption or religious exception, to wear a mask.
Masks After an Exposure
The University’s quarantine guidance will remain unchanged. A reminder that if you are fully vaccinated and have received a booster shot, or if you tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 90 days, and you come into close contact with someone with COVID-19 you do not need to quarantine and can return to work or class. But you need to wear a mask for 10 days from the date of your last close contact and get tested at least 5 days after the close contact.
Vaccines and Boosters
The suspension of mandatory masking does not affect the student booster requirement for those enrolled in hybrid or fully in-person courses. Students must upload proof of their booster within 30 days of the date they first become eligible to receive the booster. A reminder that all full- and part-time faculty, non-teaching instructional staff and ECPs are required to be fully vaccinated and their proof of vaccination uploaded into CUNYfirst by April 1. Requests for medical exemptions or religious exceptions will be considered and the employee process for submitting such requests will be communicated in the near future.
Testing and Random Testing
To monitor COVID-19 moving forward, CUNY’s mandatory testing for anyone with medical exemptions or religious exceptions and the random testing program for vaccinated individuals will continue to operate without change. Free PCR testing continues to be available for students, faculty and staff at CUNY testing sites and I encourage you to take advantage of this service for any reason you might need it.
- In accordance with guidance from the university chancellor, our plan for the Fall 2021 semester is to provide all students with an in-person educational experience to reconnect in the spaces of learning that we all cherish. The expectation is that all students enrolled in studios will attend these courses in-person at least one day per week, to prioritize in-person access to studio, library, fab labs, and computer labs. It is important to remain flexible, patient, and understanding throughout this process.
- All administrative staff and faculty resumed in-person work in August 2021.
- During the Fall 2021 semester, all students, staff, and faculty, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to wear a mask at all times, and in all spaces throughout the Spitzer building, and on campus.
- During the Fall 2021 semester, we will be practicing social distancing in all studios and classrooms, and in all public spaces throughout the building, where possible. Studio desks must be arranged to ensure that each student is spaced at a minimum of 6 ft apart from all other students. We are asking students and faculty to cooperate to ensure compliance.
- During the Fall 2021 semester, while we orient ourselves to hybrid instruction, we will not be permitting guests into the building. A decision about amending this note to allow some outside guests by final reviews week is pending.
- During the Fall 2021 semester, semester the Spitzer building will be open on weekdays 8:00 am to 9:00 pm. The building will not be open on weekends. Current students, faculty and staff may enter the building anytime it is open. For studios, we are easing the alternating Thursdays restriction.
- There will be a guard posted M-F during the building open hours. No refrigerators, no microwaves in studios — to keep the building vermin-free. No cots — to keep you healthy! Vaccinated Faculty, staff and students can enter by displaying CCNY ID and proof of vaccination (currently accepting: gold sticker on ID and Cleared4 CUNY Access pass). Those who are unvaccinated must provide negative testing results from a CUNY testing site only following the latest CCNY guidance.
- All students attending a class on campus are required to be vaccinated unless they have a medical or religious exemption. Vaccinated students can enter by displaying CCNY ID and proof of vaccination (currently accepting; CDC Card, CCNY gold V sticker, Excelsior Pass, or Everbridge’s CUNY Vax Pass). Those who are unvaccinated must provide negative testing results from a CUNY testing site only within the past 7 days. The CUNY vaccination policy for students gives students until September 27 to upload proof of vaccination into CUNYfirst.
- Field trips within New York are allowed and do not have to go through the travel waiver petition process. CUNY has amended the Covid-related guidance on travel. See https://www.cuny.edu/coronavirus/#travel-guidance.
- COVID-19 Reporting: If a student feels unwell with possible COVID symptoms, it should be reported promptly to Romy Fabal (firstname.lastname@example.org), George Rhinehart (email@example.com), and Ana King-Garcia (firstname.lastname@example.org) from Student Health Services and Student Life. Ken Ihrer (email@example.com) and Richard Belgrave (firstname.lastname@example.org) from Operations should be cc’d, along with your academic advisor.
- CUNY COVID-19 Guidance on Academic Continuity
- Make sure to regularly check your CCNY email.
>> City College Reopening Plan (July 2021)
>> CUNY Vaccination Policy FAQ (July 2021)
>> Letter from the Chancellor (January 2021)
>> Letter from the Dean (July 2020)
>> Updates from the President’s Office
>> CUNY Coronavirus Updates
>> Letter from the Dean (March 2020)
- CCNY Libraries will re-open as study space to fully vaccinated patrons with reservations on August 25, 2021. Please make a reservation here.
- Health, Home, Help, and Finance During CV-19
- Free internet/mobile data for 60 days
- Adobe Creative Cloud Access for Students (through summer 2020)
- Activate your CCNY Zoom Account
- Laptop and Tablet Loaner Program
- Distance Learning Guide (Blackboard, Zoom, Webex, VPN, Dropbox, Matlab Licenses, MS Office 365, CUNY Virtual Desktop)
- Get Help from the CCNY Service Desk:
212-650-7878 | email@example.com | Chat
- Follow SSA IT on Instagram for helpful tips (@ssa.archIT)
- Full list of CCNY IT Resources
- Credit/No Credit Policy FAQ (Spring 2020)
Most current COVID-19 Information:
CCNY Emergency Funding and Guidance:
- CCNY Dream Keepers
- Carol and Milton Petrie Foundation Emergency Fund Application
- CCNY Counseling Center
- Health and Wellness Services: Emergency Grants Program Application
- Off‐Campus Housing Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Division of Student Affairs: email@example.com
- Student Support Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org
New York City Emergency Funding and Services:
- DOE Free Meal Hubs to get three free meals a day at more than 400 Meal Hubs across the city.
- ACCESS NYC to find help in NYC with food, money, housing, work and more
- Unemployment assistance
- Department of Youth & Community Development for housing emergencies due to the COVID‐19 pandemic. For more information, call DYCD Youth Connect: 1(800) 246‐4646 or 1 (646) 343‐6800