Educational Credentials :
- M.S., New Jersey Institute of Technology, 1991
- B.S., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1990
Teaching Experience :
- Associate Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2010-present
- Adjunct Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2004-2010
- Adjunct Professor, Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science, 1997
Professional Experience :
- Principal, Dominick R. Pilla Associates, PC, Nyack, NY 1999-present
- Senior Engineer, DeNardis Associates Inc., White Plains, NY 1995-1999
- Project Engineer, Geiger Engineers, PC, Suffern, NY 1994-1995
- Project Engineer, M.G. McLaren Engineering, Nyack, NY 1992-1994
- Architecture License, New York State, Connecticut, New Jersey
- Professional Engineer, New York Sate, New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont, Georgia, Florida, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington DC, Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, South Dakota, Arizona; Civil Engineer: California, Nevada; Structural Engineer: Nevada, Washington, Hawaii
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Pilla, D. & Vaccaro, J. & Wilde, J., “Monitoring the Health of a Building during and after Rehabilitation,” Structure Magazine, 2015.
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X., “Creating an Opening in Existing Floors,” Structure Magazine, 2013.
- Pilla, D. & Kaniuczok, M., “Diving In: Steel Helps A Single-Family Home and Pool House Go Swimmingly,” Modern Steel Construction, 2013.
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X., “Horizontal and Vertical Enlargement of a “Sliver” Building,” Structure Magazine, 2013.
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X., “Penthouse View: A New Modular Structure Provides an Option for Unused Rooftop Space,” Modern Steel Construction, 2012.
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X., “An Affordable and Sustainable Building Design in New York City,” Structure Magazine, 2011.
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X., “Evaluating Historic Structures for Adaptive Re-Use,” Structure Magazine, 2010.
Professional Memberships :
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)
- National Council of Structural Engineers Association (NCSEA)
- New York Building Congress (NYBC)
- New York Society of Architects (NYSA)
- Structural Engineering Council Board (SECB)
- Structural Engineering Institute (SEI)
- AES 24303/62401: Elementary Structural Analysis & Behavior
- AES 36402/74401: Introduction to Design of Steel and Concrete Structures
- ARCH 35401/73400: Introduction to Design of Timber and Masonry Structures
- ARCH 51450/63206: Structural Anatomy of Buildings