Educational Credentials :
- Ph.D., Structural Engineering, Cornell University, 1993
- M.Sc., Structural Engineering, Cornell University, 1989
- M.Sc., Architecture, University of Belgrade, 1989
- Specialization in Housing, University of Belgrade, 1984
- Specialization in FR Concrete, TH Delft, 1983
- B.Sc., Structural Engineering, University of Belgrade, 1978
- IAESTE Rijkswaterstaat, Ministry of Education, The Netherlands, 1973
Teaching Experience :
- Associate Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2017-present
- Associate Professor, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2008-2017
- Visiting Research Professor, University of Newcastle, 2006
- Associate Professor, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2005-2008
- Visiting Professor, Cornel University, 2002
- Visiting Research Professor, TH Eindhoven, 2000
- Associate Professor, Syracuse University, 1994-2005
- Instructor, Syracuse University, 1993-1994
- Post Doc. Research Associate, Cornell University, 1993-1994
- Research Assistant, Cornell University, 1989-1993
- Teaching Assistant, Cornell University, 1987-1989
Professional Experience :
- CAD Engineer, ARCADE, The Netherlands, 1986-1987
- Bridge and Building Designer, IKS, 1982-1986
- Field Structural Load Testing Engineer, IKS, 1981-1982
- Buildings Construction Site Engineer, Partizanski Put, 1978-1981
- Structural Engineer, Yugoslavia, 1980
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Markov, I. "Modeling and Load Testing of Cable Net Structure," Proceedings of the IASS Annual Symposium 2016, “Spatial Structures in the 21st Century,” September 26-39, 2016, Tokyo, Japan.
- Markov, I. at all. "Educational Modeling and Load Testing of Shells,” International
- Journal of Space Structures, March 2016.
- “Research in Design of Spatial Adaptable Rapidly Erectable Building Systems,” Joint research Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts - Princeton University - Semyuang University, S. Korea. Funded $32,000 for period 3/15-12/31/15.
- Markov, I. “Hands-On, Minds-On for Shells,” International Association for Shells and Spatial Structures (IASS) - 2015 Symposium, Amsterdam August 17-20, 2015.
- Markov, I. ”Hands-On Approach to Cross-Disciplinary Teaching Challenge,” 2012 Education, Math and Engineering Technology, Hawaii University International Conferences, August 2012.
- Nicholas P., M. Tamke, M. Thomsen, H. Jungjohann, and I. Markov. “Graded Territories: Towards the Design, Specification and Simulation of Materially Graded Bending Active Structures,” ACADIA 2012, San Francisco, October 2012.
- Constantinou C., J. Mendez, I.Markov, and M. Stein. “Rapid Response Low Cost Housing System – Haiti Case,” 4th Latin-American Symposium on Tensile Structures, Montevideo, Uruguay, 6-8 April, 2011.
- Markov, I. “Performance Based Integrated Structural Physical Models,” Building Technology Educators’ Society Conference, Toronto, August 4-7, 2011.
- Markov, I. “Concept of Tuning and Constructing Mass-Customized Generative Surfaces,” Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, No.2, Vol. 25, 2010.
- Markov, I., and J.F. Gabriel. “Spatial and Structural Aspect of Polyhedra,” Engineering Structures, The Journal of Earthquake, Wind and Ocean Engineering, Vol. 23, Number 1, January 2001, pp. 4-11.
- Claiborne, Markov, Ruccolo, First Place at the International Competition for Design of the New Museum of Contemporary Arts of Vojvodina in Novi Sad.” Serbia. June 2000.
Professional Memberships :
- International Association of Shell and Spatial Structure (IASS)
- International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE)
- Building Technology Educators Society (BTES)
- ARCH 24303/62401 Elementary Structural Analyses and Behavior
- ARCH 35402/73401 Introduction to Design of Timber and Masonry Structures
- ARCH 36402/74401 Introduction to Design of Steel and Concrete Structures