Educational Credentials :
- Ph.D., Princeton University School of Architecture, 2022
- M. Arch. II, Harvard University Graduate School of Design, 2015
- M. Arch., Southeast University School of Architecture, 2013
- B. Arch., Southeast University School of Architecture, 2011
Teaching Experience :
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, 2022
- Assistant Instructor, Princeton University School of Architecture, 2020-2021
- Lecturer, Harvard University Graduate School of Design, 2020
- Assistant Instructor, Princeton University School of Architecture, 2017-2018
- Instructor and Teaching Assistant, Harvard University Graduate School of Design, 2015-2016
Professional Experience :
- Founder and Director, IfWorks, 2022-
- Co-founder and co-editor, kleinenForm, 2017-2018
- Architect, United Design Group, 2012-2013, 2009-2010
- Architect, Atelier FCJZ, 2011
- Budem-Projekt, 2010
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Jia, Ruo. Different Shades of the Concrete: Chinese Experimental Architecture or French Poststructuralist Theory (book manuscript in preparation).
- Jia, Ruo. “Cloud as an Alternative Architecture.” Representations (under second round of review).
- Jia, Ruo. “Wittkower’s Changes on his Principles.” Architectural Theory Review (under review).
- Jia, Ruo. “Valerio Olgiati’s Architecture of the Future Anterior,” Architectural Research Quarterly (under review)
- Jia, Ruo. “Between Art and Science, Documentary to Architecture: Antonioni from Chung Kuo to The Passenger.” Modernism/modernity (under review).
- Jia, Ruo. “The Recommencement of Poststructuralist Theory with Architecture: China’s Reform and the Case of Shu Wang.” Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians (under review).
- Jia, Ruo. “Promise towards a Concrete Type.” In Transposed Memory (forthcoming).
- Jia, Ruo. “Cloud as Alternative Architecture.” 109th ACSA Conference Proceedings (forthcoming).
- Jia, Ruo. “瓦勒里欧·奥尔格亚蒂的‘先将来时’建筑”[Valerio Olgiati’s Architecture of the Future Anterior]. Time+ Architecture (forthcoming).
- Jia, Ruo. “新的可持续或是情结地域主义和布景建筑的回潮？—从MoMA中国建筑展谈起” [A New Sustainability or the Return of Sentimental Regionalism and Scenographic Architecture?—Thoughts Prompted by MoMA’s Chinese Architecture Exhibition]. The Architect (forthcoming)
- Jia, Ruo. “Post-Trauma,“ Artishock Revista (28 July 2022), POST-TRAUMA
- Jia, Ruo. “Post-Trauma,“ Artishock Revista, trans. Alejandra Villasmil (27 July 2022), POST-TRAUMA
- Jia, Ruo. “静寂的力量：向一种女性主义建筑”[Power of the Silence: Towards a Feminist Architecture], Tangent (forthcoming).
- Jia, Ruo. “现代爱情的建筑与现代建筑的建筑:再看林徽因” [The Architecturing of Modern Love and the Architecturing of Modern Architecture; Revisiting Huiyin Lin], PennConnection (forthcoming)
- Jia, Ruo. “Riding the Reformative wave of Postmodern Theory.” In Radical Pedagogy, edited by Beatriz Colomina, Ignacio G. Galan, Evangelos Kotsioris and Anna-Maria Meister, 150-152. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2022.
- Jia, Ruo. “Concrete Material as Chinese Architectural Reformation.” Log 51 (2021): 145-152.
- Jia, Ruo. “Theory Backfires: Shu Wang’s Post-Structuralist Alternative and a Fictionalized China.” Pidgin 25 (April 2019): 140-165.
- Luo, Xuan, Tairan An, and Ruo Jia. “埃森曼《现代建筑的形式基础》译后记” [Translators’ Afterword for Peter Eisenman’s The Formal Basis of Modern Architecture]. Time+ Architecture, vol. 3 (2018): 55-57.
- Society of Architectural Historian (SAH)
- European Architectural History Network (EAHN)
- Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA)
- College Art Association (CAA)
- Global Architectural History Teaching Collective (GAHTC)