Educational Credentials :
- Loeb Fellow in Advanced Environmental Studies, Harvard University Graduate School of Design, 2000
- M.Arch., Yale University, 1974
- B.A., Oberlin College, 1971
Teaching Experience :
- Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2009-present
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2008-2009
- Visiting Lecturer, Princeton University School of Architecture, 2003-2008
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Columbia University, School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, 1998-2007
- Visiting Lecturer, Yale University School of Architecture, 1983-1985
- Adjunct Asst. Professor Parsons School of Design, Environmental Design Program, 1979-1981
Professional Experience :
- Principal, New Civic Works, 2001-present
- Founding Director, Office of Sustainable Design, NYC DDC, 1997-2001
- Assistant Commissioner, NYC Department of Design & Construction, 1990-97
- Program Director, Cultural Institutions Unit, NYC Department of General Services, 1988-90
- Assistant Director, Mayor’s Office of Construction, NYC, 1985-88
- Principal, Hillary Brown Architect, 1980-85
- Project Manager, Edward Larrabee Barnes, 1975-80
- Architecture License, New York State, 1979
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Book Authored:
- Infrastructural Ecologies: Alternative Development Models in Emerging Economies. MIT Press, 2017.
- Next Generation Infrastructure: Principles for Post-Industrial Public Works. Island Press, 2014.
- High Performance Infrastructure Guidelines, Co-Author, Managing Editor. City of New York, 2005.
- State and Local Government Green Building Toolkit, Co-Author. U.S. Green Building Council, 2002.
- High Performance Building Guidelines, Co-Author, Managing Editor. City of New York, 1999.
- Book Chapters:
- “Towards Net-Zero Carbon Buildings,” in The Post Carbon Reader: managing the 21st Century Sustainability Crises, eds. Heinberg, R., Lerch D. Watershed Media Press, 2010.
- Articles in Published Journals:
- “Lille, France’s ‘Virtuous Cycle’: Integrating Urban Services to Valorize Waste,” Innovative Governance of Large Urban Systems Quarterly, Vol 3 Issue 1 July 2017.
- “Compound Infrastructure: Lessons from Engineering Precedents,” Journal of Bridge Engineering 8 (July 2014).
Professional Memberships :
- College of Fellows, American Institute of Architects
- Member, Board of Infrastructure & the Constructed Environment, The National Academies Research Council College of Fellows, American Institute of Architects
- Fellow, Post-Carbon Institute