Dean, Professor (starting December 2019)
Office: Starting December 2019
Educational Credentials :
- PhD in Architecture (Design), University of London, UK, 2007
- Diploma in Architecture (with Distinction in Design & Technical Studies; RIBA II), Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London, London, UK, 1994-95
- BSc, Architecture (RIBA I), Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London, London, UK, 1989-92
Teaching Experience :
- Dean and Professor, Spitzer School of Architecture, City College of New York, starting December 2019
- Professor of Architecture and Director of School, Graduate School of Architecture, University of Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2014-2019
- Visiting Professor, University of Westminster, London, UK, 2005-2008
- Academic Leader in Strategic Planning and External Affairs, University of North London, London, UK, 2001-2002
- Senior Lecturer, Kingston University, Kingston-upon-Thames, UK, 2000-2001
- Assistant Professor of Architecture, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, 1998-2000
- Assistant Professor of Architecture, Iowa State University, Ames, 1997-98
Professional Experience :
- Director, Lokko Associates, Accra, Ghana, 2004-2012
- Project Architect, Elsie Owusu Architects, London, UK, 1996-97
- Director (Interior Design), Brandt + Lokko, Windhoek, Namibia, 1992-93
- Architectural Assistant, Bureau J C Désert, Pte de Clignancourt, Paris, France, 1991
- The Bid (forthcoming 2021)
- A Trophy Wife (2018)
- The Last Debutante (2016)
- In Love & War (2014)
- Little White Lies (2013)
- An Absolute Deception (2012)
- A Private Affair (2011)
- One Secret Summer (2010)
- Rich Girl, Poor Girl (2009)
- Bitter Chocolate (2008)
- Saffron Skies (2005)
- Sundowners (2004)
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Edited Books/Journals
- White Papers, Black Marks: Race, Space, Architecture, Lokko, L. (ed.), Athlone Press, London & University of Minnesota Press, April 2000.
- FOLIO: Journal of Contemporary African Architecture, Lokko, L. (ed.) GSA Imprints, Johannesburg, 2017.
- Book Chapters & Articles
- "More Than Three, Please,” Feminist Theory, Gupta, P. & Frenkel, R. (eds.), SAGE, Newcastle, 2019.
- “African Spance Magicians,” . . . And Other Such Stories, 2019 Chicago Architecture Biennial Catalogue, Chicago: CAB, 2019
- “The Moneygram,” Overgrowth: Oslo Architecture Triennale, Axel, N., Dalziel, M., Harper, P., Hirsch, N. Sachs Olsen, C. & Smith, M., New York: eFLUX, 2019.
- “Outrage,” Architectural Review, vol. 38, London: eMAP Publishing, 2017
- “A Minor Majority,” Architecture Research Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2017)
- "Continental Shift," Architectural Review, vol. 7, London: eMAP Publishing, 2017.
- “uKuhumusha,” Global Practices, Transnational Pedagogies, Charrette, AAE, vol. 4, Number 2, , Pacheco, M. (ed), 2017.
- "Warp, Weft, Wend," Serpentine Gallery 2017, Blanchflower, M. (ed), London: Koenig Books, 2017.
- "DIY," African Cities Reader, Vol. 1, (eds) Pieterse, E., & Edjabe, N., Chimurenga, 2010.
- "BodyMemoryMap," in Sites of Memory: African Americans and the Cultural Landscape, Barton, C., (ed.). Princeton: Princeton Architectural Press, 2001, 119-134.
- "ResponseAbility," in Occupying Architecture: Between the Architect and the User, Hill, J., (ed.). London: Routledge, 1997, 40-59.
- Refereed Conference Papers
- "From Tables to Marketplaces: Unit System Africa, A World of Architectural History Conference," Bartlett School of Architecture, London, UK, 2018.
- "uKumuhusha," 5th All-Ireland Research Group, Cork, Eire, 2016.
- "Speaking in Tongues," 4th All-Ireland Research Group, Dublin, 2015.
- "Teaching Architecture, Practicing Drawing," University of Washington, 2015.
- “Cut and Paste,” Fak’ugesi Digital Africa Conference, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2015.
- "Don’t Talk to Your Client About Architecture," University of Westminster Architecture Research Group Conference, London, UK, 2002.
- "Architectures of Globalisation," University of California, Berkeley, 2001.
- Grants and Awards/Fundraising:
- University of Johannesburg, Teaching Innovation Grant Fund, 2015-17.
- The Graham Foundation, Chicago: funding of an architectural journal, FOLIO, 2015-17.
- Saint-Gobain, Johannesburg, South Africa: GSA international lecture series filming and logistical support, 2015-17.
- GSA - Boogertman + Partners International Lecture Series, Johannesburg, South Africa: first GSA International Lecture Series, 2015-17.
- GSA Summer Show, Paragon Architecture Group, Johannesburg, South Africa: sponsorship for the annual GSA Summer Show, 2015-17.
- University of Johannesburg: Teaching Innovation Grant Fund and Emergent Research Fund Award, 2014.
- Arts and Humanities Research Board, Bristol, UK: Postgraduate Study Award, 2002-05.
- Arts and Humanities Research Board, Bristol, UK: Successful Research Leave Scheme Grant (2001-2002) and Small Grant Funding for related research project, 2001.
- Tate Modern, Bankside, London, UK: White Papers, Black Marks symposium and book launch, 2001.
- Book/Paper Reviewer/Phd Reviewer/Editorial Board
- AJAR (ARENA Journal of Architectural Research), Ubiquity Press, London, Editorial Board Member, 2016-present.
- PLACES Journal, Berkeley, California, USA Academic Partner and Board Member, 2018 – present.
- New Architecture Writers (NAW), London, UK, Advisory Board Members, 2019 - present
- Architecture Review Quarterly, Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK, Editorial Board Member, 2016-17.
- FOLIO, Graduate School of Architecture Publications, Johannesburg, South Africa, Founder & Editor-in-Chief, 2016-17.
- MALOCA, Architectures and Urbanisms of the South, Universidade Federal do Integração Latino-Americana, Brazil, Member, Scientific Committee, 2016-17.
- NRF, Johannesburg, South Africa, Panel Reviewer, 2016-17.
- The Art of Public Space, Palgrave Macmillan, London, UK, Book Reviewer, 2016.
- University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, PhD Abstract Reviewer, 2014.
Professional Memberships :
- Third Space (Founding Member)
- Society of Authors
- Foundation54 (Co-Founder)