Paying for School
An initial estimate for all tuition, fees, books, general supplies, and specialized materials that may be required during the full course of study is available on the Financial Aid Main FAQ page (see #3 and #4).
As New York City’s only public school of architecture, Spitzer offers a rich learning environment built on CCNY’s long traditions of academic excellence and affordability. Full-time graduate tuition for in-state residents is just over $12,000 per year (2017-2018).
Even so, it takes thoughtful planning to attend a full-time graduate program. We recommend that all applicants who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.ed.gov before the priority deadline of March 15 in order to be eligible for federal and state government financial assistance. CCNY’s Federal School Code is 002688.
Each of our graduate programs provides one student with a need-based scholarship that provides an amount equal to in-state tuition for one year. These scholarships are awarded annually. There are opportunities for research and assistantship grants as well, generally for continuing students. (There is no formal application process for these.) Other scholarships and fellowships open to graduate students at the Spitzer School include:
- J. Max Bond Center Scholarship
- Frederick Bainnson Memorial Scholarship (Landscape Architecture)
- New York ASLA Scholarship (Landscape Architecture)
- Spitzer Travel Fellowships
- Spitzer History Notebook Award
Students are strongly encouraged to seek external funding, and faculty and administrative assistance is available for scholarship and award applicants. Following is a sampling of resources that may be appropriate for graduate students.
- A/E Pronet David W. Lakamp Scholarship
- Byron Hanke Fellowship
- Center for Architecture Foundation Design Scholarship
- Connecticut Architecture Foundation Scholarship
- Corporate Architects and Facility Management Scholarship
- Kate Neal Kinley Memorial Fellowship
- The Steven G. King Play Environments Scholarship
- KPF Traveling Fellowship
- Sean F. Mellon Memorial Architectural Scholarship Award
- MOA Architecture: Scholarship Award + Summer Internship Program
- The Deborah J. Norden Fund
- Women’s Auxiliary Eleanor Allwork Scholarship
- Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Architectural Scholarship Fund
- Aga Khan Foundation – International Scholarship Programme
- AIA New Jersey Scholarship Foundation
- Architects League Scholastic Achievement Award
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program
- COLFUTURO Scholarship-Loan Program
- EDSA Minority Scholarship
- Gensler Diversity Scholarship
- Jumaane Stewart Recognition Award
- New York’s Women Executives in Real Estate Scholarship (WX)
- Point Scholarship LGBT
- Robert L. Outland Women and Minority Scholarship Award + Summer Internship
- XEROX Technical Minority Scholarship
International students are not eligible to receive U.S.-government issued financial aid, however, they are welcome to apply for scholarships and loans from outside sources. Please see the CUNY International Students Financial Resources page for more details.
This list is not intended to be comprehensive, and inclusion here does not indicate specific endorsement by or affiliation with the Spitzer School.