Graduate Admissions


The information below applies to Master of Architecture, Master of Landscape Architecture, and Urban Design programs, which are all run by the Spitzer School. For the interdisciplinary MS Sustainability in the Urban Environment program including its architecture track, please refer to CCNY’s Central Admissions Office.

Q: Can I visit the school?

A: Yes, we hold info sessions and offer tours regularly, usually on Monday or Thursday afternoons when studios are in session. We also hold open house-type events annually. Please contact to schedule a visit.

Q: Can I study part-time?

A: No, all of the graduate programs at the Spitzer School are full-time.

Q: What is the application deadline?

A: Please see our Graduate Program Admissions page for full details. New students begin in the fall only.

Q: What materials are required for admission?

A: Please see our Graduate Program Admissions page for full details. International students should also reference the International Students Admissions Page.

Q: What is your portfolio requirement? What should go in my portfolio?

A: The portfolio must be submitted in hard copy and bound to a size no larger than 8.5″ x 14″ (216 x 356 mm). It should reflect your level of creative ability, including architectural projects when appropriate or creative work in other media such as drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, graphic design, furniture design, or photography. The portfolio for Landscape Architecture should consist of creative work in the realm of human experience.

Q: Where should I send materials?

A: Most materials should be submitted online. Materials submitted in hard copy—portfolio, payment—should be mailed to:

Hannah Borgeson
City College of New York
Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture
Graduate Student Services, Room 120
141 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031

Test score reports must be sent directly from ETS (Educational Testing Service) to be official. The Institutional Code for City College is 2083. City College does not use department codes.

Please be sure to start your online application before you begin sending documents. (You do not have to submit the online application right away, but it is extremely helpful if your record is created in the system so that any documents received can be logged accordingly.)

Q: Where can I fulfill the M Arch I program prerequisites of calculus and physics?

A: You may take the classes at a college of your choosing. At City College you would take Math 20500 Elements of Calculus. At any other college, you should take a general 3-credit calculus course. For the physics prerequisite, at City College you would take Physics 21900 Physics for Architects. At any other college, you should take a general 4-credit physics with a lab (the most basic course).

Q: Can I pay the US$125 application fee by credit card?

A: No, payment must be made by check or money order. International applicants who wish to pay using a bank transfer should contact for instructions.

Q: Do you have any scholarships available? How can I apply for them?

A: We do, in effect, offer all students scholarships in the form of tuition that is far lower than institutions with which we compete, given that we are the only public school of architecture in New York City. Additionally, each program has one scholarship that covers the amount of in-state tuition for one year and is awarded to an excellent student who is in financial need. No separate application is required for this. There are opportunities for research and assistantship grants as well, generally for students whose studies are already under way. We encourage students to apply for external scholarships, and in fact many students come in with scholarship from outside organizations or, in the case of international students, their home countries. See Paying for School for some possibilities.

U.S. citizens and permanent residents should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at before the priority deadline of March 15 in order to be eligible for federal and state government financial assistance. CCNY’s Federal School Code is 002688.

Q: Any other tips?

A: We’re so glad you asked! Here are some basic but helpful tips.

  • Make sure your name appears consistently on all the materials you submit. This could include your transcript, test scores, letters of recommendation, and e-mail correspondence. If your name has changed or appears differently on different documents, please alert the admissions office.
  • Whenever you contact the office, specify your name and your specific program of interest. We have several different programs, so it is not enough to say “the master’s program” or “the architecture program.”
  • If leaving a phone message, state your name and program of interest clearly, and leave your phone number twice.
  • Be polite and use correct spelling and good grammar in all of your correspondence.