News

Spitzer Alumnus, Moulton Mayers, Has Passed

It is with great regret that we share the news of  Moulton Mayers’ passing (BS Arch ’79 & BArch ’80).

Mr. Mayers died on February 19, 2022 at the age of 70. His funeral will be held on March 5th in New York.

One of his home country’s news outlets, Kingstown Searchlight, reports:

THE MAN who was arguably the foremost architect of his time in St Vincent and the Grenadines has died. Moulton Theophilus Mayers died on Saturday, February 19 at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York. He was 70 years old.

Mayers’ distinctive designs dot the landscape of this country, most noticeably in capital Kingstown. His works of art include the National Insurance Services (NIS) building, the Bank of St Vincent and the Grenadines headquarters at the Reigate, the Postal Corporation building, the Marion House building, the Building and Loan Association building, the Massy Supermarket building at Arnos Vale, the New Montrose Hotel and the Forestry Headquarters.

Mayers, who would have been 71 on March 1, was the son of the late contractor, Milton T Mayers and 90-year-old Stephanie Antoine who resides in the United States.

Moulton was strongly influenced by his father who was an icon in the construction industry in St Vincent. Early on, Milton recognized his son’s ability and nurtured it. He encouraged and financed his son’s pursuit of higher education and lived to see his son graduate from Humber College, Canada with a technician’s diploma; and then City College University in New York, from where he graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture and a Master’s degree in Urban Design.

Moulton was proud of all his designs, with the Forestry Building, the NIS building and the Bank of St Vincent and the Grenadines (BOSVG) building being among his favourites. When the NIS building was under construction in 2006, he said he felt it “might very well be the zenith of my professional career,” but on completion of the BOSVG building in 2011 he confessed that it was “the most challenging project” he had ever designed.

In recognition of his services to architecture and community work, Mayers was named a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) on the Queen’s New Year’s Honours List in 2012.

A former president of the Rotary Club of St Vincent, Mayers designed the School for Children With Special Needs while he was a Rotarian, for free. He was also president of the local Architectural Association, and served on the executive up to the time of his death. Mayers also served as the Consul General for the Czech Republic and was a member of the Board of Directors of the Intermediate High School.

He told SEARCHLIGHT several years ago that he enjoyed travelling as it allows him to relax and helps to maintain his passion for design. “What I have found is by traveling my eyes soak up a lot of architectural details. It is suppressed in my subconscious mind, so when I have the opportunity to design, it surfaces. If I don’t travel, I get stale.”

Moulton was also an outgoing person and loved “liming” with his friends, especially people who were older than he was. “There is something instinctive in me where I gravitate towards older people. Maybe it’s their wisdom. Since I was a lad, I like to keep older people company. On the weekend, I mix with the type of people who shape events in the country. Your ear is to the ground and you know what is happening. You get first hand information as to what is happening in the country. It also has a marketing strategy aspect to it because some of my jobs come by my friends recommending me,” he said.

The late architect also told SEARCHLIGHT that he had lived his professional dream and “If I had to do it over, I would do the same thing. I get a very strong sense of satisfaction from undertaking my profession.”

Mayers is survived by his mother Stephanie; his wife Yvonne and their children – Melissa, Michael and Melanee; many siblings, other relatives and friends.

A funeral service will be held in New York on March 5, followed by a memorial service in St Vincent on a date to be announced.

Image: Kingstown Searchlight

Blog