Educational Credentials :
- M.Arch., Columbia University, 1998
- B.Arch., The Cooper Union, 1994
Teaching Experience :
- Associate Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2009-present
- Interim Dean of Architecture, City College of New York, CUNY, 2021
- Director of M.Arch. Program, City College of New York, CUNY, 2009-2020
- Assistant Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2004-2009
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Pratt Institute School of Architecture, 1998-2004
- Visiting Adjunct Professor, Harvard University, 2003
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, The Cooper Union School of Architecture, 2001-2003
- Adjunct Professor, Columbia University, 2001-2003
Professional Experience :
- Partner, Berman Horn Studio LLP, New York, 2004-present
- Architecture License, New York State, Louisiana, New Jersey, Maine
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Book chapter, "Signs and Wonders: John Hejduk and the Re-Enchantment of Architecture at The Cooper Union," in Histories of Architecture Education in the United States, forthcoming from Routledge, 2023.
- Manuscript reviewer, Enquiry The ARCC Journal for Architectural Research for Vol. 19 No. 1 (2022): Inclusive Design Pedagogies and Practices.
- Presenter, “Teaching in the Bubble: Notes on the Parallel Universe of Architecture Education,” AMPS Conference: A Focus On Pedagogy: Teaching, Learning, Research in the Modern Academy, 2022.
- Presenter, SSA Lunchtime Lecture, Spitzer School of Architecture, 2021.
- Presenter, “7 Types of Formalism: Field Notes on the Use of Form in Architectural Education,” in Genre Studies session, NCBDS After Form, 36th National Conference on the Beginning Design Student, University of Austin, Texas, 2021.
- Panel Moderator, Post-formal Attitudes session, NCBDS After Form, 36th National Conference on the Beginning Design Student, University of Austin, Texas, April 2021.
- Presenter, “Pedagogy in the Wild: A Field Guide to Contemporary Architectural Education,” Schools of Thought: Rethinking Architectural Pedagogy, in Do Not Try and Remember: Pedagogy in Transition session, The University of Oklahoma, 2020.
- Panelist, The Impact session, with Stan Allen, Peggy Deamer, David Gersten, Laurie Hawkinson, Kyna Leski, and Toshiko Mori. Celebrating and Unparalleled Architectural Pedagogy: Student Work Collection Database, The Cooper Union Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture, 2019.
- Panel Moderator, “Contemporary Educators in Dialogue,” in Learning/Doing/Thinking: Educating Architects in the 21st Century, at Yale University School of Architecture, 2016.
- “16 Must-Visit Spots in New Orleans,” Kenton’s featured in Architectural Digest, 2016.
- “Cider House Rules,” Wassail featured in FSR Magazine, 2015.
- “The Anti-Cubicle Farm,” Original Media Headquarters featured in Design Bureau Magazine, 2014.
- “Architecture from Anything,” Architecture Education Goes Outside Itself: Crossing Borders / Breaking Boundaries, University of Pennsylvania School of Design, 2013.
- Maysville, Architectural Record, 2013.
- The Graham Foundation, individual grant, “Architecture from Anything: Contemporary Strategies of Design Pedagogy,” publication, 2013.
- “Simply Amazing: 30 Stunning NYC Residences,” Harlem Town House featured in Interior Design Magazine, 2013.
- “11 New York Restaurant Designers to Watch,” BHS profiled in New York Magazine, 2013.
- “Six Design-Savvy New Restaurants to Visit During Frieze New York,” Maysville featured in AD, 2013.