Coordinator, B.Arch. Design and Visual Studies; Assistant Professor
Educational Credentials :
- M.Arch., Yale University, 2006
- B.Arch., University of Arizona, 1998
Teaching Experience :
- Assistant Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2014-present
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Carnegie Mellon University, 2013-2014
- Assistant Professor, Lousisiana State University, 2010-2013
- Faculty Associate, Arizona State University, 2009-2010
- Digital Media Assistant, Princeton University, 2008-2009
- Lecturer, Yale University, 2008
- Instructor, Yale University, 2005-2008
Professional Experience :
- Principal, Augmented Architectures, 2014-present
- Principal, Melendez Design Studio, 2011-2014
- Principal, Melendez + Dickinson Studio, 2008-2010
- Design Director, Urban A&O, 2006-2009
- Frank O. Gehry & Associates, 1999-2004
- Asymptote Architects, Summer 2006
- Cesar Pelli & Associates, Summer 2005
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Data, Matter, Design: Strategies in Computational Design, edited with Nancy Diniz and Marcella Del Signore. New York: Routledge, 2020.
- Drawing from the Model: Fundamentals of Digital Drawing, 3D Modeling, and Visual Programming in Architectural Design. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2019.
- Conference Papers:
- “Architectural Drawing and Physical Computing: From Points and Projections to Sensors and Data,” Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA), 107th Annual Meeting, 2019, BLACK BOX: Articulating Architecture’s Core in the Post Digital Era, March 2019.
- “Wearable Biosensors: Simulating Biotic Growth Patterns and Sensing Environmental Toxins,” Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), International Conference. co-authored with Nancy Diniz (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) and Christine Marizzi (Cold Springs Harbor Laboratory), October 2018.
- “Liquid Actuated Elastomers: Soft Corporeal Architectural Systems,” Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), International Conference. co-authored with Nancy Diniz (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) and Valeria Rybyakova (City College of New York, MArch). Paper and Project Poster submitted. Presentation and Conference Proceedings, October 2016.
- “Interfacing the Skin,” Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA), Cross-Americas: Probing Disglobal Networks, International Conference, 2016. co-authored with Nancy Diniz (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute). Project Session: Crafted Objects. Conference Proceedings, June 2016.
- “Responsive Architectural Interventions: Mediating Between the Built and Natural Environments,” Building Technology Educator’s Society (BTES), 2015 BTES International Conference, Intersections & Adjacencies: Leadership in Architectural Technology Education. Co-authored with Dale Clifford (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo), June 2015.
- “Computation and Clay: Evolving Fabrication and Performance Strategies for Ceramics in Architecture,” 2015 American Institute of Architects (AIA) / Association for Collegiate Schools in Architecture (ACSA) Intersections Conference, Intersections Between the Academy and Practice: Applied Research in Architecture Education That Advances Practice, May 2015.
- “Adaptive Pneumatic Frameworks,” Association for Computer-Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), Design Agency, International Conference, 2014. Co-authored with Madeline Gannon, Zachary Jacobson-Weaver, and Varvara Toulkeridou. (Carnegie Mellon University). Major Contribution, October 2014.
- “Synthetic Ecological Frameworks,” Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture, ACSA 101: New Constellations, New Ecologies, 2013. Co-authored with Bradley Cantrell (Louisiana State University), November 2013.
- Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA), CCNY Faculty Councilor
- Association for Computer-Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA)
- Building Technology Educators Society (BTES)