Educational Credentials :
- M.S., Civil Engineering, New Jersey Institute of Technology, 1991
- B.S., Civil Engineering with a Minor in Architecture and Planning, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1990
Teaching Experience :
- Associate Professor (with tenure), City College of New York, CUNY, 2010-present
- Lecturer, School of Architecture and School of Civil Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2017-2021
- Adjunct Associate Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2004-2010
- Adjunct Professor, School of Architecture, Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science, 1997
Professional Experience :
- Principal, DRPILLA, PC, Nyack, NY, 1999-present
- Senior Engineer, DeNardis Associates Inc., White Plains, NY, 1995-1999
- Engineer, Geiger Engineers, PC, Suffern, NY, 1994-1995
- Project Engineer, M.G. McLaren Engineering, Nyack, NY, 1992-1994
- Professional Engineer, NY, NJ, CT, PA, VT, GA, FL, CO, OR, WA, TX, DC, DE, HI, MA, SD, AZ, RI, TN
- Structural Engineer, NV, WA, HI
- Civil Engineer, CA, NV
- Registered Architect, NY, CT, NJ
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Pilla, D. Elementary Structural Analysis and Design of Buildings. Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis, 2016.
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X. “Horizontal and Vertical Enlargement of a 'Sliver' Building.” Structure Magazine (2013).
- Pilla, D. & Kaniuczok, M. “Diving In: Steel Helps A Single-Family Home and Pool House Go Swimmingly.” Modern Steel Construction (2013).
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X. “Creating an Opening in Existing Floors.” Structure Magazine (2013).
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X. "Penthouse View: A New Modular Structure Provides an Option for Unused Rooftop Space." Modern Steel Construction (2012).
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X. "An Affordable and Sustainable Building Design in New York City." Structure Magazine (2011).
- Pilla, D. & Tong, X. "Evaluating Historic Structures for Adaptive Re-Use." Structure Magazine (2010).
- DeNardis, J., Pilla, D., Berger, H. & Spillers. W.R. "University of Northern Iowa Air Dome Retrofit." Modern Steel Construction (1999).
- DeNardis, J., Pilla, D., Berger, H. & Spillers. W.R. "Hybrid Cable-Arch Systems for Long Span, Lightweight Roof Structures" (Proceedings, IASS Congress, Sidney, 1998).
- Spillers, W. R., Schlogel, M., & Pilla, D. "A Simple Membrane Finite Element" Computers and Structures 45:1 (1993): 181-183.
- Research Project:
- Effects of Wind, New York City Mayor’s Office of Recovery and Resiliency and New York City Department of Buildings (2017).
- American Institute of Steel Construction
- American Concrete Institute
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- LEED Accredited Professional
- National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying
- National Council of Structural Engineers Association
- New York Society of Architects
- New York Building Congress
- Structural Engineering Council Board
- Structural Engineering Institute