Office: SSA 3M04
Educational Credentials :
- Ph.D., School of Architecture, University of Virginia, 2021
- M.L.A., School of Architecture, University of Virginia, 2016
- B.Eng., Beijing Forestry University, 2013
Teaching Experience :
- Assistant Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2021-present
- Lecturer, Landscape Architecture, University of Virginia, 2019-2021
- Teaching Fellow, Landscape Architecture, University of Virginia, 2017-2019
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Book Chapters:
- “Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in Landscape Architecture,” with Bradley Cantrell and Xun Liu. In The Routledge Companion to Artificial Intelligence in Architecture. Edited by Imdat As and Prithwish Basu, pp. 232-247. London: Routledge, 2021.
- “Collaboration Among Apparently Incommensurable Expertises: A Case Study of Combining Expertises and Perspectives to Manage Climate Change in Coastal Virginia,” with Michael Gorman, Kristina D. Fauss, and Benjamin D. Bowes. In The Third Wave in Science and Technology Studies: Future Research Directions on Expertise and Experience, pp. 255–72. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2019.
- Journal Articles:
- “Cultivated Wildness: Towards Technodiversity and Wildness in Machines,” with Bradley Cantrell. Landscape Architecture Frontiers 9:1 (2021): 52-65.
- “Control and Uncertainty: Towards a Paradigm of Prototyping,” with Xun Liu. Landscape Architecture Frontiers 8:4 (2020): 10–25.
- “The Cybernetic Environment as a New Frontier,” with Shurui Zhang. Lunch Journal 14 (2020): 149.
- “Cybernetic Environment: A Historical Reflection on System, Design, and Machine Intelligence.” Journal of Digital Landscape Architecture 5 (2020): 8.
- “The Future of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) in Landscape Design: A Case Study in Coastal Virginia, USA,” with Ben Bowles. Journal of Digital Landscape Architecture 4 (2019): 2–9.
- “Impacts of Lagoon Opening and Implications for Coastal Management: Case Study from Muni-Pomadze Lagoon, Ghana,” with K. Sian Davies-Vollum and Andrews Agyekumhene. Journal of Coastal Conservation 23:2 (2019): 293–301.
- “A Third Intelligence,” with Bradley Cantrell. Landscape Architecture Frontiers 6:2 (2018): 42–51.
- “Human-Tool Assemblage: Designers in the Big Data World," with Mona El Khafif and Andrew Mondschein. Journal of Digital Landscape Architecture 2–2017 (May 2018): 397– 405.
- “Community-Centered Urban Sensing: Smart Engaged Planning and Design in a Dysfunctional Urban Context,” with Andrew Mondschein and Mona El Khafif. International Journal of E-Planning Research 8:4 (2018): 1–16.
- “Human Factors in Responsive Landscapes: Importance and Method.” Journal of Digital Landscape Architecture 2 (2017): 10–17.
- Conference Papers:
- "Teaching Design Computation in the Paradigm of Cybernetic Environment," with Xun Liu. Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture 2020 Conference Proceedings (2020): 30.
- “Choreographing Intelligent Agents,” with Bradley Cantrell. In 107th ACSA Annual Meeting Proceedings, Black Box (2018): 2-3.
- “Mapping the Nocturnal City: Community-centered urban sensing Charlottesville, VA,” with Mona El Khafif and Andrew Mondschein. 3rd City Street Conference Proceeding (2018): 73- 85