Coordinator, Building Technology; Assistant Professor
Educational Credentials :
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Architectural Sciences, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, CASE, 2013
- Ph.D., Architectural Sciences, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2012
- M.S., Architectural Sciences, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2008
- M.S., Engineering Management, Izmir Institute of Technology, Turkey, 2005
- M.Arch., Izmir Institute of Technology, Turkey, 2005
- B.Arch., Uludag University, Turkey, 2001
Teaching Experience :
- Assistant Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2014-present
Professional Experience :
- Sustainability Consultant, CASE & SOM, New York, NY, 2012-2013
- Intern Architect, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, New York, NY, 2011
- Environmental Designer within Integrated Research Teams, CASE with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, New York, NY, 2008-2013
- Member of Chamber of Architects, Izmir, Turkey
- Architecture License, Turkey
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- CIRG-CUNY: Plant‐Based Air Filtration using Engineered Growth Media: Formaldehyde Adsorption Dynamics, Co-PI with Elizabeth Biddinger (PI),
- PSC-CUNY: Optimization of Building-Integrated Plant-Based Cassettes for Removing Indoor Air Pollutants. PI, 2017-2018.
- US Department of the Army, Minority Serving Institutions Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Research & Development Consortium
- (MSRDC): Absorbents for use in Building-Integrated Plant-Based Dynamic Filtration Media for Removing Chemical Warfare Agents; co‐PI with
- Elizabeth Biddinger (PI), 2016-2017.
- Aydogan, A.*, G. Tardos, Growth Media for Indoor Air Purification. Provisional Patent, CUNY.
- Filing Date: April 25, 2017 extended April 15, 2021, application serial no: 63/010,111.
- A. Aydogan*, D.G. Peck, J. Usman, S. Jung, E. Biddinger, “Golden Pathos Viability in Engineered
- Mixed Bed Growth Media Containing Ionic Liquids for Plant-Based Building Air Filtration
- Systems,” Rhizosphere, 15 (2020) 100209.
- A. Aydogan*, R. Cerone, “Review of the Effects of Plants on Indoor Environments,” Indoor and Built
- Environment, (2020), DOI: 10.1177/1420326X19900213
- A. Aydogan*, “Durability of Plant‐based Air Filtering Systems in Buildings: From an Air Quality
- and Energy Reduction Perspective” 15th International Conference on Durability of Building
- Materials and Components; Barcelona, Spain (2020).
- A. Aydogan*, F. Melendez, E. Abdul-Emir, Y. Abdul-Emir, “Dynamic Architectural System to
- Improve Air Quality and Reduce Energy Consumption” Proceedings of Advanced Building Skins
- 13th Conference; Bern, Switzerland (2018).
- A. Aydogan, G. Tardos, E. Biddinger, “Granulation of Growth Media for Indoor Air Purification
- Utilizing Botanically‐Based Systems” Proceedings of International Indoor Air Quality and Climate 14th
- Conference, Ghent, Belgium (2016).
- A. Aydogan, A. Dyson, L.D. Montoya. “From a Lab Scale to the Building Scale: Formaldehyde
- Removal by a Plant Module.” Proceedings of Healthy Buildings 2015 America, (2015).
- Wrobetz A., Aydogan, A., and Montoya, L.D. “Physical and Biological Characterization of Porous Media for VOC Removal,” in Proceedings of American
- Association for Aerosol Research 34th Annual Conference, (2015).
- Aydogan, A., Montoya, L.D. “Formaldehyde Removal by Common Indoor Plant Species and Various Growing Media,” Atmospheric Environment, 45
- (2011): 2675-2682.
Professional Memberships :
- Hortscience, American Society of Horticultural Science 2019 − present
- Association of Indoor air Quality 2015 − present
- Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA) 2014 − present
- Member of Chamber of Architects, Izmir Turkey 2001 − present