Director of Program
Educational Credentials :
- M.L.A. Landscape Architecture, University of Pennsylvania; June 1997
- M.F.A. Painting, Pratt Institute; May 1988
- B.A. Art History, University of Pennsylvania; May 1983
Teaching Experience :
- Associate Professor, The City College of New York, 2006-present
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Pratt Institute; 2002-2006
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Columbia University; 2002
- Landscape Workshop Critic, Yale University; 2003, 2006, 2008
- Lecturer, University of Pennsylvania, 1997-2002
- Visiting Lecturer, Boston Architectural Center; 1999
Professional Experience :
- Hoffman Brandt Projects LLC; 2011-present
- Principal, Hoffman Brandt Landscape Design; 2005-present
- Senior Landscape Architect, Mathews Nielsen Landscape Architects, P.C.; 1999-2005
- Project Manager/Designer, Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates; 1997-2000
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Book Authored:
- City Sink: carbon cycle infrastructure for our built environments, Oscar Riera Ojeda Press, 2012
- Book Chapters:
- "Relief Organism: A proposal for sustaining human rights through spatial practices in refugee settlement" in Right to Landscape, edited by Shelly Egoz, Ashgate Press, forthcoming, 2011.
- "The Landscape of Beef: Fast Food and Feedlots on the Colorado Front Range "Fresh Air, Judith Bing and Catherine Veikos Editors, ACSA Press, March (2007): 259-267.
- Articles in Published Journals:
- "Biotope-Econotope" in SLUM Lab magazine, edited by Design Hoffman Brandt, Alfredo Brillembourg and Hubert Klumpner, New York: September 2011.
- "Emerging Tactics: City Sink", in Next Eco City: Emergent Urbanism, ed. Jeff Hou and Thaisa Way, forthcoming 2013.
- "Landlocked" in New Orleans Under Reconstruction: The Crisis of Planning, ed. C. McMichael Reese, M. Sorkin, and A. Fontenot for Project New Orleans, forthcoming 2013.
- "Landscape List" Slum Lab Grotao Newspaper, Columbia University, March, 2010. "Slum Tectonics" Slum Lab Grotao Newspaper, Columbia University, December, 2008.
- Water Log: Observations on a Former Floodplain in Northern Syria" Architectural Design; Extreme Sites - The Greening of Brownfield, Deborah Gans and Claire Weisz Editors, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., March (2004): 41-49.
- Browning Maps", Architectural Design; Extreme Sites - The Greening of Brownfield, Deborah Gans and Claire Weisz Editors, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., March (2004).
- Articles in Juried e-publications:
- "A view to America Street" Places, forthcoming winter 2009.
Professional Memberships :
- American Society of Landscape Architects
- New York Academy of Sciences of Architectural Historians