Educational Credentials :
- M.L.A. Landscape Architecture, University of Pennsylvania, June 1997
- M.F.A. Painting, Pratt Institute, May 1988
- B.A. Art History, University of Pennsylvania, May 1983
Teaching Experience :
- Professor, The City College of New York, 2020-present
- Associate Professor, The City College of New York, 2006-2020
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Pratt Institute; 2002-2006
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Columbia University; 2002
- Landscape Workshop Critic, Yale University; 2003, 2006, 2008
- Lecturer, University of Pennsylvania, 1997-2002
- Visiting Lecturer, Boston Architectural Center; 1999
Professional Experience :
- Hoffman Brandt Projects LLC; 2011-present
- Principal, Hoffman Brandt Landscape Design; 2005-present
- Senior Landscape Architect, Mathews Nielsen Landscape Architects, P.C.; 1999-2005
- Project Manager/Designer, Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates; 1997-2000
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Books Authored:
- Waterproofing New York. Co-edited with Catherine Seavitt Nordenson. New York, NY: UR / Urban Research Press, 2016.
- City Sink: Carbon Cycle Infrastructure for Our Built Environments, Oscar Riera Ojeda Press, 2012.
- Book Chapters:
- "City Sink—Sinking Cities", in Next Eco City: Emergent Urbanism. Edited by Jeff Hou and Thaisa Way, 243-258. London: Routledge, 2015.
- "Landlocked." In New Orleans Under Reconstruction: The Crisis of Planning. Edited by Carol McMichael Reese, Michael Sorkin, and Anthony Fontenot. New York, Verso, 2014.
- "Relief Organism: Re-thinking Refuge Encampment at Dadaab, Kenya." In Right to Landscape: Contesting Landscape and Human Rights. Edited by Shelley Egoz, pp. 245-262. Farnham: Ashgate Press, 2011.
- "Are We What We Eat? The Landscape of Beef: Fast Food and Feedlots on the Colorado Front Range." In Fresh Air: 95th ACSA Annual Meeting Proceedings. Edited by Judith Bing and Catherine Veikos (2007): 259-267.
- Journal Articles:
- "Biotope-Econotope" in SLUM Lab magazine, edited by Design Hoffman Brandt, Alfredo Brillembourg and Hubert Klumpner, New York: September 2011.
- "Landscape List" Slum Lab Grotao Newspaper, Columbia University, March, 2010. "Slum Tectonics" Slum Lab Grotao Newspaper, Columbia University, December, 2008.
- Water Log: Observations on a Former Floodplain in Northern Syria" Architectural Design; Extreme Sites - The Greening of Brownfield, Deborah Gans and Claire Weisz Editors, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., March (2004): 41-49.
- Browning Maps", Architectural Design; Extreme Sites - The Greening of Brownfield, Deborah Gans and Claire Weisz Editors, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., March (2004).
- Articles in Juried e-publications:
- "A view to America Street" Places, forthcoming winter 2009.
Professional Memberships :
- American Society of Landscape Architects
- New York Academy of Sciences of Architectural Historians