Educational Credentials :
- Certified Document Technician, Construction Specification Institute, 2000
- M.L.A, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1989
- B.A., Honors in Art History, Trinity College, Hartford, CT, 1986
Teaching Experience :
- Adjunct Professor, City College of New York, 2011-present
Professional Experience :
- Partner, SiteWorks Landscape Architecture, 2017-present
- Director of Strategic Planning, SiteWorks Landscape Architecture, 2015-2017
- Principal, AECOM, 2011-2015
- Associate Principal, AECOM, 2010-2011
- Senior Associate, AECOM, 2007-2010
- Senior Associate, Mathews Nielsen Landscape Architects, PC, 1995-2007
- Project Manager, Vollmer Associates, 1994-1995
- Director of Design, Global Consult Group, 1992-1994
- Project Manager, Balmori Associates, 1990-1992
- Project Manager, Jack Curtis and Associates, 1987-1990
- New York
- New Jersey
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- Bounds, Katerli, Michael J. Feller, Jennifer Greenfield, Minona Heaviland, Clara Pregitzer, Tim Wenskus, Andrew Lavallee, Gonzalo Cruz, Grace Miller, and Emily Nye. Forest Restoration in New York City. New York: Department of Parks and Recreation, 2014.
- Michele Adams, Stephen Caputo, Nette Compton, Tavis Dockweiller, and Andrew Lavallee. High Performance Landscape Guidelines: Parks for the 21st Century. New York: Design Trust for Public Space, 2011.
- Book Chapters:
- Lavallee, Andrew and Jamie Maslyn Larson. “Bake Maintenance into Park Planning” in Maintaining: Public Works in the Next New York, pp. 30-31. New York: Urban Design Forum, 2019.
- Shaner, Carol. The Tennis Facilities Construction and Maintenance Manual. Technical Review and Illustrations by Andrew R. Lavallee. Baltimore: USTC & TBA, 1996.
- Martin, John and Andrew Lavallee. “Architecture and the Built Environment.” in Atlas of Massachusetts. Edited by Richard Wilke and Jack Tager, pp. 110-124. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1992.
- “Life Insurance for Plants.” Landscape Architecture Magazine (February 2019): 50-54.
- “Trouble on the Edge.” Landscape Architecture Magazine (January 2018): 30-36.
- “Breaking the Chains.” Racquet Sports Industry (January 2006).
- “Sustainable Parks.” Recreation Management Magazine (April 2005).
- “Hit the Lights,” Racquet Sports Industry (July 2005).
- Conference Papers:
- “Enduring Landscapes: Designing Stewardship into Projects,” KASLA and Association for Olmsted Parks Joint Conference, Louisville, KY, April 2019.
- “Valuing Parks,” Urban Design Forum Panel, New York, NY, February 2018.
- “Overcoming Barriers to Scalable Green Infrastructure,” ASLA Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, October 2017.
- “In the LA Studio with SiteWorks,” ASLA Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, October 2017.
- “Bridging the Design Construction Divide,” ASLA Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, October 2016.
- “A Tree is the Best BMP: Reconnecting Water, Soils and Vegetation in the Urban Environment,” American Water Resources Association (AWRA) Healthy Forest=Healthy Waters Conference, Hartford, CT, June 2013.
- “Integrated Maintenance Planning for Campus Landscapes: A Roadmap to Sustainability,” Sustainable Futures for Global Cities and Suburbs Conference, Hofstra University, Garden City, NY March 2013.
- “Optimizing Biodiversity and Ecosystems Services in the Built Environment,” The Ninth International Conference on Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, Hiroshima, Japan, January 2013.
- “Optimizing Biodiversity and Ecosystems Services in the Built Environment,” ASLA Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, September 2012. Presented with Shaun O’Rourke, Isaac Brown and Jim Halway.
- “Integrated Maintenance Planning for Campus Landscapes: A Path to Sustainability,” SCUP North Atlantic Regional Conference, April 2012.
- "Sustainability on an Institutional Scale: High Performance Guidelines," Guest Lecture , Boston Architectural College, November 2011.
- "Transforming the Urban Forest with Citywide Tree Planting Initiatives," ASLA National Convention, San Diego, CA, November 2011.
- "High Performance Guidelines 21st Century Parks for New York City Soils Short Course," Capital Design Division, New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, August 2011.
- "Green Growth Solutions: Plants & Mediums: Urban Frameworks and Projects at Green Solutions," Urban New Jersey Conference, Rutgers University, Rutgers Center for Urban Environmental Sustainability, May 2011.
- "High Performance Guidelines 21st Century Parks for New York City Soils Short Course," NYASLA Conference, February 2011.
- "Using Manufactured Soils for Sustainable and High Performance Landscapes," NJASLA Annual Conference, Presented with Annette Wilkus and Robert Pine, January 2011.
- "Green Roofs as a Storm Water Management Tool," Green Infrastructure Solutions for New Jersey Conference, Rutgers University, January 2011.
Professional Memberships :
- Fellow, American Society of Landscape Architects
- Member, Council of Landscape Architectural Review Boards
- Member, New York State Board of Landscape Architects
- Member, Urban Design Forum