Educational Credentials :
- Master in City Planning - City Design & Development, MIT, 2006
- B. Arch., Cornell University, 2002
Teaching Experience :
- Assistant Professor, City College of New York, 2023-present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Cooper Union, 2022-2023
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Columbia University, 2020-2023
- Visiting Professor, University of Virginia, 2022
- Adjunct Professor, Syracuse University, 2020-2022
- Visiting Professor, Cornell University, 2019-2022
Professional Experience :
- Founding Principal, Creative Urban Alchemy LLC, 2010-present
- Director of Predevelopment Planning and Urban Design Unit, New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development, 2020-2022
- Director of Strategic Design Initiatives, New York City Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice, 2018-2020
- Senior Design Advisor, New York City Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice, 2018-2020
- Urban Designer/Strategic Initiatives Specialist, New York City Department of Design and Construction, 2015-2017
- Senior Urban Designer/Planner, ARG Design, Cape Town, South Africa, 2013-2015
- Interim Program Manager, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa, 2012-2013
- Design Fellow/Program Coordinator, Architecture for Humanity, Cape Town, South Africa, 2010-2011
- Design Coordinator, Anshen and Allen Architects, San Francisco, California, 2008-2010
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- “Housing as Insertion Point for Creative Urban Alchemy,” in Reconstructions: Architecture and Blackness in America, ed. Sean Anderson and Mabel Wilson (New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2021).
- “On Reclamation and Representation,” Next City: Representation Matters Vol.II (2020).
- “Safe Places, Active Spaces: A Community Playbook for Transforming Public Spaces in Your Neighborhood,” NYC Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (2019).
- “Building Resilience and Inspiring Justice,” 2019 Conscious Cities Anthology.
- “Engaging Communities for Safer Public Spaces,” Center for Active Design (2019).
- “BlackSpace Manifesto” BlackSpace Urbanist Collective (2018).
- “Design Around the Edges,” Urban Omnibus (April 4th 2018).
- “Designing Just Spaces,” Urban Design Forum (2017).
- “Designing a Police Station That Serves the Community,” Next City (2016).
- “Design & Construction Excellence 2.0 Guiding Principles,” NYC Department of Design & Construction (2016).
Professional Memberships :
- American Institute of Architects New York Board of Directors, 2021-present
- BlackSpace Urbanist Collective Board of Directors, 2019-2021
- Association for Community Design Board of Directors, 2018-2020
- Museum of Modern Art Advisory Council: Reconstructions Exhibition (Architecture and Blackness), 2018-2019
- Cornell Black Alumni Association Board of Directors, 2016
- National Organization of Minority Architects Member, 2000-present