Educational Credentials :
- Ph.D., Art History, Graduate Center, City University of New York, 2013
- B.A., Honors in Art History, Vassar College, 1997
Teaching Experience :
- Assistant Professor, City College of New York, CUNY, 2013-present
- Adjunct Lecturer, City College of New York, CUNY, Spring 2011; Spring 2013
- Lecturer, Art Department, Colorado College, Fall 2012
- Lecturer, Department of Fine and Performing Arts, Baruch College, CUNY, 2011-2012
Selected Publications and Recent Research :
- “Through a Filtered Lens: Photography and the Politics of Potable Water in Modern Paris.” Forthcoming in Technology and Culture.
- "'The Dravert Affair': Paperwork and the Administration of Street Maintenance in Modern Paris.” Forthcoming in Journal of Urban History .
- "Between Social Engagement and Neoliberalism." In Non-Standard Architectural Productions: Between Aesthetic Experience and Social Action. Edited by Sandra Löschke, pp. 235-252. London: Routledge, 2019.
- “Architecture in 2018: Look to the Streets, not the Sky,” The Conversation (4 January 2018).
- “The Empire’s New Veil,” Log 16 (Spring/Summer 2009): 133-142.
- “Book Review of Martin Bressani, Architecture and the Historical Imagination: Eugène-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc, 1814-1879,” Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 76:2 (June 2017): 245-248.
- “Exhibition Review of Henri Labrouste: Structure Brought to Light,” caa.reviews (April 2014).
- “Book Review of Andrew Saint, Architect and Engineer: A Study in Sibling Rivalry,” Casabella 782 (October 2009): 102-103.
- “Building Review: Specters of Industry: Adaptive Reuse in Paris as Industrial Patrimony,” Journal of Architectural Education 63, No. 1 (October 2009): 136-140.
- Catalogue and Encyclopedia Entries:
- “Bernard Forest de Bélidor,” “Arcisse de Caumont,” “Charles Garnier,” “Albert Lenoir,” and “Charles Percier and Pierre-François-Léonard Fontaine.” In The Architect’s Library: A Collection of Notable Books on Architecture at Vassar College, ed. Nicholas Adams. Poughkeepsie: Vassar College Libraries, 2014, 30, 39, 55-57, 70-71, 89-90.
- “Architectural Design,” “Blueprint,” and “Perspecta.” In Architettura del Novecento – Vol. 1, Teorie, Scuole, Eventi, ed. Marco Biraghi and Alberto Ferlenga. Turin: Einaudi, 2012.
- Conference Papers:
- “Photographs of Portable Bridges,” College Art Association Annual Conference (Panel Title: “Photography, Myth, and Architecture”), New York, NY, 15 February 2019.
- “Making Maintenance Visible: Photography and the Administration of Urban Upkeep in Modern Paris,” College Art Association Annual Conference (Panel Title: “Repair and Maintenance in Art, Architecture, and Design”), Los Angeles, CA, 23 February 2018.
- “The Pont Mirabeau, Photography, and the Shaping of Urban Collectivities in Third Republic Paris,” Bridge: The Heritage of Connecting Place and Culture Conference, Coalbrookdale Museum and University of Birmingham, UK, 10 July 2017.
- “Photography and the Industrialization of Time on the Parisian Worksite,” Inter-Photography and Architecture Conference, Museo Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain, 4 November 2016.
- “Visualizing Accountability: Serial Photography and the Restoration of the Pont-Neuf,” Society of Architectural Historians 69th Annual Conference (Panel Title: “Serial Landscapes”), Pasadena, CA, 7 April 2016.
- “Architecture: Between Social Engagement and Neoliberalism,” Production Sites (Symposium), The Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London, London, UK, 30 July 2015.
- “Frozen Assets: Photography, Time, and Labor on the Construction Site,” 5th International Congress on Construction History, Chicago, IL, 6 June 2015.
- “Engineering the Surface,” Nineteenth-Century Studies Association Conference (Panel Title: “Cities on Paper: On the Materiality of Images in Nineteenth-Century Urbanization”), Boston, MA, 27 March 2015.